Learn more about the Western Carolina Medical Society on this page. We would love to hear from you. Please contact us with any questions, comments or concerns you may have.
WCMS Association: WCMSA is the physicians’ voice advocating for the health of the physician, the patient, and the community, through strengthening the physician-patient relationship.
WCMS Foundation: WCMSF is the physician and community-led charitable arm of the medical society improving access to quality healthcare, decreasing disparities in health, and promoting health & wellness.
To be a dynamic physician community dedicated to a healthy, vibrant Western North Carolina.
- The Western Carolina Medical Society (formerly Buncombe County Medical Society) was established in 1885 by area physicians.
- Throughout its history, WCMS has been an innovator in supporting and advocating for physicians in the practice of medicine, and working collaboratively with area organizations to address the health challenges facing our community’s residents.
- WCMS is organized into two divisions, as outlined below.
- In 1990, the medical society (then BCMS) became incorporated so that it could better advocate on behalf of physicians and our community.
- The WCMS Association is a thriving professional association of 700+ physicians from 16 western North Carolina counties.
- Some of the services provided by the WCMS Association include:
- Advocacy: shaping healthcare policy that strengthens the physician-patient bond
- Communications: e-Newsletters and social media to keep members up-to-date
- Networking: special events and affinity groups to connect physicians with one another
- Discounted Services: interpretation, legal, financial, practice management and IT
- Education: events, resources and partnering with MAHEC
- Public Education: articles across WNC news outlets by physicians
- WCMS Association is a 501(c) 6 non-profit organization.
- The Foundation is the physician and community-led charitable arm of WCMS, respected for its leadership and innovation in addressing the following issues:
- Access to quality healthcare for low-income, uninsured residents is provided in two ways:
- in all 16 counties by our Health Access Team (HAT) that can enroll eligible consumers in the Health Insurance Marketplace
- in Buncombe County only by our HAT that can enroll eligible consumers into our nationally recognized charity care program Project Access®
- Disparities in healthcare are addressed by
- The WCMS Interpreter Network (WIN) whose contractors speak 15 languages plus ASL and help ensure quality communication for quality care
- The Charles Blair Health Parity Scholarship Fund
- Prevention and wellness - under development
- The Foundation Endowment, formed in 1998, recognizes the tradition of giving by physician families. The Endowment is an enduring gift for the health of our community administered by the Community Foundation of WNC which awards grants to health and wellness programs in our community.
- The WCMS Foundation is a 501(c)3 charitable organization.
Integrity. Quality. Compassion. Diversity. Innovation.
To strengthen the health of the medical profession. To strengthen the health of the patient. To strengthen the health of the community. To strengthen the health of WCMS as an organization.
Our Key Strategic Partners:
Independent physicians, Employed Physicians, Physician Assistants, Community Leaders, Sponsors/Businesses, Donors/Funders, Health System Leaders, Practice Managers, Patients, Staff